Kaethe

Kaethe

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers - Brian Michael Bendis,Steve McNiven,Yves Bigerel,Michael Avon Oeming,Sara Pichelli

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers - Yves Bigerel, Sara Pichelli, Steve McNiven, Brian Michael Bendis, Michael Avon Oeming

We celebrated the last day of summer by lying around on the sofa and reading; mostly graphic novels. We saw the Guardians of the Galaxy movie last weekend, and the girls especially loved it. So, this is not that story. Same characters, different backstories, different costumes, totally different focus for the plot. I actually much preferred this backstory for Quill, because he had to work to get himself off earth, including joining NASA. Less loveable rogue cliche, more competent pilot. Gamora's costumes are laughable in either case: what credible assassin would hobble herself with high-heeled boots for a fighting style that relies heavily on martial arts?

But the real star for Natasha and I was Rocket. His enormous head is so cute! We spent the rest of the day saying to each other "Blam! You're murdered. Who's next?" For some reason there's a reluctance to acknowledge that the heroes are killing real people. The cynical sincerity of Rocket's line admits the cost and raises the stakes.

Fun stuff. I'll be checking out more of these in the future.

Library copy.