Kaethe

Kaethe

The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett: An Origami Yoda Book - Tom Angleberger

October 2, 2013

I read it ten months ago, but I didn't write a review, so then I didn't remember anything, which forced me to read the book again just to catch up with what's going on before I read Princess Labelmaker, but by the time I got around to it, the next book had to go back to the library. So, kids, THIS is why you should keep track of your reading.

Not that I mind a re-read for the quality of the writing. Angleberger strikes a good tone in these. No, this particular volume in the series fills me with RAGE because it's about how the school has canceled all extracurriculars and electives in order to make time for all the students to go through a particularly inane set of materials to prep them for the high-stakes test. And this is a subject that makes me stabby.

I do like that the author is addressing a systemic problem facing current students. The books were delightful when addressing the minor embarrassments of daily life, better when addressing more serious issues, and even better now, I think. I'm looking forward to moving on with the series, and hopeful that the books offer some creative civil disobedience.

Library copy.