Kaethe

Kaethe

Super Amoeba - Jennifer L. Holm, Matthew Holm I love Babymouse; she's a strong middle school character with an issue about her looks and an imagination steeped in reading. She confronts the usual sorts of middle school situations and muddles through. The Holms sibling have done well, and the books are a success. So now they're taking their same format, and giving us another middle school series only with single-celled characters rather than sundry animals. Squish has the potential to be every bit as popular in the format. Like Babymouse, he has an engaged family who aren't always helpful. Unlike her he has two best friends, one boy and one girl, and he's a comic devotee, rather than a fan of novels.So there's a lot to love, fun stories, a quick easy format for reluctant readers or those who just want something quick. What don't I love? The awreness that "he's Babymouse for boys." I hate that. Babymouse is "Babymouse for boys." I really don't think we help turn boys into devoted readers by telling them again and again that a little pink is not for them. Reinforcing a stupid gender binary isn't good for anyone./rantLibrary copy.