Kaethe

Kaethe

Major Barbara - George Bernard Shaw Here's what I remember about this play, some thirty years after reading it: Major Barbara is a pacifist and is dedicated to helping the lives of the worst-off members of her society. Her father, an arms manufacturer, is also dedicated to helping the lives of members of his society, and uses both enlightened employee policies, and the proceeds from his weapons to do so. The whole thing was a little mind-blowing to me in high school, and I appreciated the way Shaw made me stop and think, and that he tempered his philosophy with a great deal of humor.Now I see that this is a benevolent dictatorship, a privately held the company, which doesn't have to appease stockholders by laying all the employees off, or moving the operations overseas to find cheaper labor in sweatshop conditions, nor is there any contractual obligation to continue to maintain good conditions. In short, the years have taught me just a few of the ways in which capitalism can be evil. But still, a fun read. Shaw's plays are always great fun.Mrs Powell, the drama teacher's class library.