Kaethe

Kaethe

The Curious Sofa - Edward Gorey

The Curious Sofa - Edward Gorey

The literary equivalent of Gypsy Rose Lee's strip tease. No doubt the most sex-per-page of any book yet remains appropriate for readers of all ages. "But is it sex positive?" I ask myself. I think not in the end, but others may differ.

I amused myself by trying to imagine making a film of it. I was wondering how one could maintain the feel of the book, but also make it last longer than about 6 seconds. It would be a fun side project to take advantage of casts, sets, locations, costumes, and all on some big drama production. It would also be funny to swap the cast around, with the cast playing nobility in one and servants in the other, and vice versa. Now I really want someone to comb the footage of Downton Abbey and make this for me.

Personal copy