Kaethe

Kaethe

Jane's Fame: How Jane Austen Conquered the World

Jane's Fame: How Jane Austen Conquered the World - Claire Harman If one was only going to read one book about Jane Austen, this is the one I'd recommend. Harman covers Austen's life, literary influences, work habits, as well as the public and critical reception her books have received in the years since their first drafts. Few regular readers are interested (I think) in critical analysis as practiced by professors of English literature, but Harman gives concise and fairly entertaining overviews of the many theories, as well as an idea of how well they've been received or not.

And for the most ardent fan, she not only discusses the scriptwriting involved in making films from the texts, she also address the whole Darcy-in-a-wet-shirt phenomena.