Kaethe

Kaethe

The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 2004

Henry is a punk-rock loving librarian, so I fell instantly. The science is absurd, and causality really loses any meaning, and Clare annoys me, but still I love it.

***
July 17, 2014

Ten years further on I don't find Henry quite as adorable, although I do appreciate his efforts to be the man Clare has long adored. The science remains ridiculous. This time I'm much more struck by the sadness of the book: Clare's miserable family, the grief of repeated miscarriages, Henry's horrific death (and how the hell do they manage to deal with that, I wonder?). This reading I noticed how much of Henry's story we're only ever told, and what a remove that leaves the reader at. But Henry, knowing the end is approaching, teaches Clare how to cook. That brief sequence is so real, and so moving.

For all my bits I balk at, I enjoyed reading it. It's hard to imagine a One True Love filling up a girl's heart, and then a wife's, and then a widow's. Not these days. Nonetheless, Niffenegger convinced me that it was true for Clare, and I can imagine her waiting for him until the end of her days, never cutting the hair he loved.

Library copy