Kaethe

Kaethe

Their Noble Lordships: How to Tell a Duke From an Earl...And Other Mysteries Solved - Simon Winchester
  1. I understand why the aristocracy exist, and why they want to continue, but not why anyone else puts up with them. I’m annoyed enough at how certain American families have managed to amass unimaginable fortunes, while many people don’t earn enough to buy food and shelter. Downton Abbey is lovely and entertaining and I’m not interested in putting anyone up against a wall, but as a cross-section of humanity, actual aristocrats aren't particularly impressive. If anything, it would appear that the higher the inherited title, the more eccentric the personality. It's almost as if growing up wealthier than everyone else, with special privileges, and a title to denote those privleges, makes people feel entitled. Weird, that.

Library copyT