Kaethe

Kaethe

Echo Echo: Reverso Poems About Greek Myths - Marilyn Singer, Josee Masse

Echo Echo: Reverso Poems About Greek Myths - Marilyn Singer, Josee Masse

While I’m not a big contemporary poetry reader for adults, I enjoy it enormously in kid’s books. For adults, I pretty much lost interest after Elliot, except for light verse and/or song lyrics. Natasha has much of Hamilton memorized, a worthwhile feat, because that is a work of genius, and the wordplay is endlessly delightful. And this is more in the vein of clever wordplay than most anything else I can think of. The form was created by the practitioner: a poem is written which, when read top to bottom means one thing, and when read bottom to top means something different. It’s an impressive skill to do at all, let along well. And these are well done indeed. And also, the art is lovely.

On yet another tangent, I wonder how many languages this form would work in. English has common patterns of sentence structure, but is loose enough to make Yoda comprehensible, albeit, somewhat “foreign” to the ear. Latin will not stand for any of that moving things about, making it impossible to do the reverse. I’m too ignorant of other language structures to know which is more common.

Also, the art is really appealing.

Library copy