Kaethe

Kaethe

The Princess in Black and the Perfect Princess Party - Shannon Hale, Dean Hale, LeUyen Pham

Some people can't stand the whole princess thing, others haven't lost it even though they've grown up; I never thought of myself as being afflicted with the desire, but then I really enjoyed a series of books called Castles Ever After which might as well have been commissioned by some sort of Secret Adult Princess Division of Disney. Both the daughters came down with a case when they started preschool, one traditionally (so much Belle merch) the other with an edge (Zombie Princess), and both gave it up in favor of other, more literally kick-ass heroines. These books are perfect for that phase: the swashbuckling and monster-fighting will appeal to nearly all kids, the princesses are a diverse lot, there's a disability addressed as no big deal, and they are funny enough for adults to read repeatedly as they will no doubt be forced to do.

Write on, Shannon Hale, long may you reign as Queen of the Kickass Princess!

Library copy